5016 50th Avenue, PO Box 1684, Yellowknife, NT X1A 2P3
p. 867-873-6019 | firstname.lastname@example.org | www.ecologynorth.ca
Ecology North – Office Manager
Ecology North is a charitable, non-profit organization that was formed in 1971 to support sound environmental decision-making on an individual, community and regional level. Our mission is to bring people and knowledge together for a healthy northern environment. We are located in downtown Yellowknife, and have a mandate to work throughout the NWT and northern Canada.
Ecology North is looking for a dynamic, energetic, independent person to work as the Office Manager. The successful candidate will work on a variety of tasks in a fun but busy, fast-paced office environment. The successful candidate will be an experienced administrator in the North, with a keen interest in the local environment and community. They will have strong multi-tasking skills, excellent communication skills, and be proficient with computer and general office equipment. Some financial and budgeting experience is required for this position as well as a familiarity with Sage 50 accounting software. The Office Manager is responsible for overseeing staff and ensuring that the day-to-day administrative resource needs of the Ecology North office are met in a consistent and timely manner. The Office Manager will be the first point of contact for the public and must
be able to represent Ecology North in a professional manner.
• Answer the Ecology North phone, and administration e-mail messages and ensure that inquiries are directed to the appropriate person;
• Coordinate regular staff meetings;
• Ensure staff timesheets are submitted on time;
• Assist all staff members when requested with general administration;
• Lead Ecology North services, such as, rent-a-plate and vermi-composting;
• Monitor cash flow and ensure timely bank deposits;
• Coordinate cheque signing and cheque distribution;
• Quarterly review of all projects and ensure project managers are on task, timeline and budget;
• Collaborate with and provide project budgeting mentorship and support to staff when needed;
• Maintain the membership database and maintain communication of the good work of Ecology North to members through our bi-weekly electronic newsletter;
• Coordinate day-to day office organization by troubleshooting and rectifying technical issues as they arise, maintaining well stocked stationary supplies, improving physical process systems where possible and facilitating or encouraging staff to maintain a clean and organized office environment;
• Oversee and coordinate all current procedures, such as, donor recognition, travel reimbursement and volunteer tracking;
• Work with the Executive Director to review, evaluate and implement an annual membership and fundraising plan that will build on current charitable donations from the public and membership;
• Work with the Executive Director and Program Managers to establish efficient work plans and aid with project management to ensure deadlines are met;
• Assist the Executive Director with the hiring process including updating contracts, conducting interviews and onboarding new staff;
• Schedule exit interviews with outgoing staff and the Executive Director;
• Be an active member of the Ecology North Human Resource committee with staff and board members; and
• Coordinate the annual AGM.
Education and Work Experience:
A University degree with courses in finance and administration or management. At least one year of relevant work experience with an non-governmental organization (NGO) based in the Northwest Territories (NWT). Work experience in the NWT in one of our focus areas - water stewardship, waste reduction, local food production, nature appreciation or climate change
mitigation and adaptation.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
● Experience working in the non-profit sector in the Northwest Territories;
● Experience managing staff members, understanding budgets and managing time efficiently;
● Knowledge of northern cultures;
● Demonstrated strong communication skills, both written and oral;
● An understanding of the tools non-profit organizations can use to affect individual and societal change;
● Experience with Sage 50 accounting software;
● Excellent computer literacy skills, with strong knowledge of all Microsoft Office and Adobe applications and experience with Google Drive, WordPress, Weebly, and Zoom;
• A good understanding of environmental issues and how they relate to the north at a regional, territorial, national, and international level;
• Experience with QuickBooks or other accounting software;
• A valid drivers’ license.
● Interest in learning about environmental issues is crucial. You are not expected to know everything about our focus areas, but you must be open and excited about learning;
● Be able to work occasional evening and weekend hours with notice;
● When COVID-19 restrictions lift, occasional travel outside of Yellowknife will be required; and
● Willingness to contribute to the overall vision and mission of Ecology North and contribute to the smooth operations of the organization.
Terms of Employment:
This position is a full-time (37.5 hours/week), one-year contract with possible extension.
Compensation is $30.77 - $40.46 per hour depending on education and experience. The wage scale is currently under review.
• Dental, Health, Life and Long-Term Disability coverage,
• A Professional Development package,
• Vacation, Sick and Special leave and Lieu time,
• Statutory holidays including 3 holiday days between Boxing Day and New Years Day.
Anticipated start date: Thursday, October 19th, or as soon as possible.
The position is based in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories and will be conducted in English. Only those with the legal right to work in Canada will be considered.
At the final stage of screening, after interviews but prior to signing a contract, all potential candidate(s) will be required to produce a criminal records check to ensure that no prior conviction may present an impediment to working with vulnerable people.
The position reports to the Executive Director of Ecology North.
Apply by Thursday, October 12th at 11:59pm MST by submitting a cover letter and resume to:
5016 50th Ave,
NT, X1A 2P3
email@example.com | (867) 873-6019
To learn more about Ecology North, please visit http://www.ecologynorth.ca/