Job Title: Line Cook
Department/Business Unit: IDC Properties
Reports to: Head Chef
Location: Inuvik, NT
Type of position: Full-time
Accurately and efficiently cook meats, fish, vegetables, soups, and other hot food products as well as prepare and portion food products prior to cooking. Also, perform other duties in the areas of food and final plate preparation including plating and garnishing of cooked items and preparing appropriate garnishes for all hot menu item plates.
Competencies are demonstrated behaviours of a person that facilitate effective performance of work tasks. It is how we do it, not just what we do. The following competencies are required for all roles within ICG.
Results Focus: Takes responsibility and ownership for decisions, actions, and results in service of Inuvialuit Corporate Group’s overall corporate mandate.
Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Keeps others informed of important information, whether daily activities, crises, or progress on long-term goals. Listens to others & communicates in an effective manner.
Relationship Building: Builds and maintains relationships outside of own immediate team to achieve common goals. Works to build, maintain, and utilize individual relationships or networks with co-workers and other people who are, or might be, helpful in achieving work-related goals.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively, supporting others and fostering a positive team environment.
Knowledge Sharing & Development: Continually seeks to improve the knowledge, skills, and work processes of oneself and others. Desiring & making an effort to acquire new knowledge and skills for work and share accordingly within the organization.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Prepares a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables, and other food items for cooking in broilers, ovens, grills, fryers, and a variety of other kitchen equipment.
• Assumes 100% responsibility for the quality of products served.
• Knows and complies consistently without standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards, and kitchen rules, policies, and procedures.
• Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period.
• Portions food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications.
• Maintains a clean and sanitary workstation area including tables, shelves, grills, broilers, fryers, pasta cookers, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range, and refrigeration equipment.
• Prepares items for broiling, grilling, frying, sauteing, or other cooking methods by portioning, battering, breading, seasoning and/or marinating.
• Follows proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
• Handles, stores, and rotates all products properly.
• Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
• Closes the kitchen properly and follows the closing checklist for kitchen stations. Assists others in closing the kitchen.,
• Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
• Performs other related duties as assigned by the Kitchen Manager or manager-on-duty.
Other duties as required
STRATEGIC PLAN PRIORITIES
Ensure alignment of daily work, special projects, and other assignments contribute to one of the six major focus areas of the strategic plan as listed below.
1. Revitalize and celebrate Inuvialuit cultural identity and values within a changing northern society
2. Exercise stewardship over Inuvialuit Lands.
3. Improve the capacity and well-being of individuals, families, and communities.
4. Enable Inuvialuit to be equal and meaningful participants in the northern and national economy and society.
5. Take an evidence-based decision-making approach to policy development and advocacy.
6. Manage optimally the human, physical, and financial resources of the Inuvialuit Corporate Group.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• A minimum of two (2) years of experience in kitchen preparation and cooking.
• At least six (6) months of experience in a similar capacity.
• Must be able to communicate clearly with managers, and kitchen and dining room personnel.
• Be able to reach, bend, stoop, and frequently lift up to 40 pounds.
• Be able to stand for long periods of time (up to 9 hours).
• Must be able to follow printed recipes and plate specifications.
• Must maintain personal hygiene.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the role.
PLEASE SUBMIT A COVER LETTER AND RESUME IN CONFIDENCE TO:
Inuvialuit Regional Corporation - Human Resources Division