Taylor Architecture Group
3502 Raccine Rd
Landscape Design – NOC 22114
We have a permanent position available for a Landscape Designer in our Yellowknife office.
Taylor Architecture Group (TAG) is a Northern-based architecture and engineering firm with a focus on community design work, especially for First Nation and Inuit communities, throughout the Far North.
We are seeking a motivated and capable designer to join our Yellowknife architectural team. The ideal candidate will be socially conscious, open minded, and willing to learn from our diverse range of unique clients. At TAG you will have the opportunity to explore design responses to issues like climate change, indigenous/settler reconciliation, poverty reduction, and social justice. You will also gain hands on experience with project delivery in some of the most logistically and climatically challenging environments anywhere on earth.
In Yellowknife you will find a vibrant community of young professionals with high levels of civic engagement. Cross-country skiing is popular in winter with many hundreds of kilometers of trails to explore. In Summer, Yellowknifers enjoy camping and canoeing on the many lakes and river systems directly accessible from the public docks in town.
Project work ranges through large-scale civic, educational, and institutional facilities, as well as smaller-scale commercial or residential projects. TAG’s NWT projects are located in communities across the territory and in Nunavut. Travel on small aircraft and remote winter roads will be a requirement of the position.
- Assist the architectural teams with the development of landscape concepts, design, details, construction documentation as well as construction administration. Detail drawings include site plans, plans, elevations, sections, and details.
- Create digital models and renderings.
- Create physical models using hand tools and basic power tools.
- Undertake project research including cultural, site, and material investigations.
- Provide support to the project team lead on various activities such as coordination of sub-consultants, preparation of reports, attendance at project meetings, preparation of meeting minutes, and attendance at site reviews.
- Provide design and construction administration for projects including responding to contractor inquiries and attending project meetings. This work will be supervised by the architectural team lead.
- Work will include occasional travel to remote communities in the Arctic and Sub-arctic; candidate should be comfortable with travel in small airplanes and driving on isolated roads. Adequate safety equipment for road travel will be provided.
Credentials and Skills:
- Graduate from an accredited program in Canada or equivalent
- Northern landscape design experience.
- Demonstrated quality design work and ability to think outside of the box
- Skilled production of presentation & working drawings
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; fluent in English
- Strong writing skills for reports and communication with clients and contractors
- Familiarity with sketch-up is required; the ideal candidate will also have AutoCAD experience.
- Familiarity using 3D modeling programs is required.
- Familiarity with the Adobe Creative software (Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign) is an asset
Length of Contract:
This is a permanent full time (37.5 hr/week), position located in Yellowknife, NT.
A moving expense stipend can be provided by TAG.
Salary and benefits:
Starting salary $38/hr; full benefits package available after 3 months of full time employment.
How to apply:
Please submit your CV and portfolio to email@example.com
Please include examples of design drawings/details, as well as schematic design/concept drawings, and indicate which programs were used to generate the drawings shown.