1. Overall Accountability
To support the Executive Chef and Sous Chef in producing and maintaining the quality of service and product that reflects the reputation of the hotel and accompanying restaurants while adhering to the Food Safety Act, Health and Safety Regulations.
The Chef de Partie is responsible for a variety of cooking duties including preparation, assembly and serving of various menu items in accordance with standardized recipes and established procedures and standards.
2. Reporting Relationships
This position reports directly to the Executive Chef.
3. Key Functions
Prepare ingredients for cooking; including portioning, chopping and storing food.
Wash and peel fresh fruits and vegetables.
Weigh, measure and mix ingredients.
Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards and food preparation checklist.
Prepare cold foods.
Operate ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves and fryers.
Serve food in proper portions onto proper receptacles.
b) Food Quality
Monitor food quality while preparing food.
Set-up and break down workstation.
Wash and disinfect kitchen area, tables, tools, knifes and equipment.
d) Compliance and Safety
Check to ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food.
Understand and ensure compliance of all Food Safety Act, Health and Safety regulations for the Northwest Territories.
Responsible for proper storage, labeling and use of all food supplies to prevent unnecessary spoilage and to maintain cost control.
4. Core Competencies
Attention to Detail
a) Credentials & Experience
- 5+ years’ cooking in a high volume hotel or restaurant environment.
- Red Seal Certification is an asset.
- Safe Food Handling certificate.
b) Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Intermediate culinary skills.
- A positive attitude and an eye for detail and appearance are a must.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instruction and request clarification when needed.
- Knowledge of best cooking practices.
- Understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures.
- Ability to multi-task and work efficiently under pressure.
- Familiar with industry’s best practices.
- Passion for amazing food and presentation.
- Good understanding of inventory procedures.
- Approachable, confident, supportive and positive.
- Establish priorities and work independently as well as part of a team.
- Consistently demonstrates accountability.
- Goes above and beyond to ensure outstanding service.
6. Working Conditions
Must be available to work flexible shifts; days, evenings and weekends.
On-call due to the 24 hour operation of the hotel.
Physical demand include, but are not limited to walking, standing, reaching, pulling, pushing and lifting up to 20-30 lbs. frequently.
Exposure to extremely hot and extremely cold liquids.
Will be constantly exposed to high temperatures in the kitchen environment.
Long periods of standing.