Great Slave Animal Hospital is hiring a Animal health technician / Veterinary Technician.
Animal health technologists and veterinary technicians provide technical support to veterinarians by caring for animals and assisting in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health disorders. They are employed in veterinary clinics, animal hospitals, animal shelters, humane societies, zoos, animal research laboratories, pharmaceutical companies and government. Animal health technologists and veterinary technicians who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Provide nursing care and rehabilitation therapy for animals
- Handle, restrain and care for animals undergoing treatment and surgery
- Produce radiographs, collect and analyse samples and perform other laboratory tests to assist in diagnosis of animal health problems
- Assist veterinarian with animals before, during and following surgery by preparing surgical equipment, administering and monitoring anaesthetics and cleaning up after surgery
- Prepare and administer medications and vaccines under direction of a veterinarian
- Administer treatments as prescribed by a veterinarian
- Provide wound and bandage care
- Conduct specialized procedures such as animal identification and hoof trimming
- Educate and advise clients on animal health care including nutrition and home care
- Assist in laboratory research
- Perform routine animal dental procedures and assist veterinarians with animal dentistry
- May perform a variety of office management and clerical duties.
Targeted Group of Job Seekers:
Students/Youth/Indigenous People/Apprecntices/Visible Minorities/Newcomers to Canada
Period of Employment: Permanent/Full Time
Compensation and Benefits:
$60,000 to $66,000 annual;32-40 hours/week
Employment Conditions: On call, Overtime, Must be willing to work shifts
Education: Certificate or diploma in this field or 1-2 years equivalent experience
Security and Safety: Basic security clearance. Criminal record check. Valid driver’s license.
Flexibility; excellent oral and written communication skills; effective interpersonal skills;
Initiative; team player; organized; client focused
Handle, restrain and care for animals undergoing treatment and surgery. Assist veterinarian before, during and after surgery. Prepare and administer medications and vaccines under direction of veterinarian. Administer treatments as prescribed by veterinarian. Conduct specialized procedures on animals such as animal identification and hoof trimming. Counsel clients on animal health care. Produce diagnostic radiographs. Collect samples and perform other laboratory tests. Perform routine animal dental procedures and assist veterinarians with animal dentistry. Provide nursing care and rehabilitation therapy for animals.
How to Apply:
By phone: 867-873-2579 from 09:30 to 18:00 Monday to Saturday