The Financial Accountant maintains the integrity of the General Ledger and has a substantial role in managing the monthly financial statement process and completing the year-end financial statements, while operating at a senior system security level.
- Job requires considerable attention to detail to ensure accuracy with figures.
- Job involves the ability to respond to high volume and variety of tasks.
- Job requires the ability to prioritize the tasks and respond in a timely manner.
- Working conditions are normal open office environment.
- Work outside normal office hours is frequently required.
- Travel may be required, including travel to remote communities in small aircraft and the possibility of extended travel due to weather conditions.
- Must maintain the confidentiality of all Corporation information that comes to the incumbent’s attention as a result of his/her employment with the Northwest Territories Power Corporation.
In a team based organizational and management structure, under the direction of the Controller:
- Always work safely, adhere to all aspects of the NTPC Health & Safety and Environmental programs, comply with all rules & regulations, and continually practice health & safety while performing any duties.
- Ensure the safety of other employees, contractors and the general public in the workplace by:
- Reporting any failure to adhere to safety practices or rules
- Providing detailed orientations and identification of hazards to all visitors
- Removing hazards or make the workplace safe when leaving a work area
- Participate in the continuous improvement of the Health & Safety program, Environment program as well as NTPC’s safety culture.
- Provide complete and accurate financial records and reports in accordance with dual accounting frameworks for Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAS) and rate-regulated accounting (RRA).
- Responsible for the preparation of NT Hydro’s regulated monthly financial statements including preparing and distributing the financial statements, analyzing significant variances from budget and forecast, and ensuring the reports are updated to reflect new reporting relationships, cost center changes, etc.
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly financial statements and financial records for NT Hydro’s non-regulated operations including preparing the financial statements for review, and analyzing significant variances from budget and forecast
- Coordinates and manages the month-end cut-off process for NT Hydro and its subsidiaries for monthly financial reporting.
- Perform various cost analyses and prepare reports for management as requested.
- Researches and coordinates presentation material for senior management and Board of Directors; responsible for the accuracy of information and appropriateness of presentation.
- Assists in the planning and co-ordination of the Corporation’s year end external audit. Prepares year-end working papers and interacts with the external auditors as required.
- Administers the General Ledger’s integrity of data with the various subledgers - Payroll, Inventory, Purchasing, Accounts Payable, Billings, Job Cost, Contract Management and Fixed Assets.
- Maintains the Corporation’s Chart of Accounts. Provides training and fields inquiries regarding the code of accounts.
- Creates and maintains general ledger requirements for new business initiatives including the financial administration of the Corporation’s contractual arrangement for Engineering and other services as well as the Corporation’s subsidiaries.
- Provides advice, support and recommended courses of action to other groups in the Corporation on resolving financial problems and priorities and advice on coding and allocation issues.
- Provides assistance on financial information for regulatory submissions.
- Researches and develops new/improved accounting and recording systems and standards to respond to internal and external requirements and makes recommendations on courses of action for existing and new business developments.
- Establishes and maintains contacts with other utilities and agencies to provide advice and guidance to Senior Management on the Corporation’s processes and businesses.
- Assists the other members of the group in special projects by gathering data, formatting data and conducting basic analysis.
- Initiates, develops, implements and monitors compliance with Finance policies.
- Evaluates training requirements for the General Ledger application and the Corporation’s report writing tool. Develop and present training programs.
- Provides training to and receives training from co-workers in financial functions such as monthly, quarterly and annual reporting requirements.
- Participates in group meetings as required, and in accordance with the principles of team management, to determine department objectives, provide input to group planning, and to assess and coordinate department workload and priorities.
- Must possess a recognized accounting designation.
- Must have considerable years related experience.
- Must have experience in financial reporting of Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAS)
- Must have public accounting related experience.
- Working knowledge of computerized accounting systems is required.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a team environment.
- Requires advanced knowledge of excel spreadsheets.
- Requires experience with working paper and financial statements preparation.
- Experience taking a leadership role and co-ordinating work in a team environment.
- Requires a high level of organizational skills to meet deadlines.
- Experience with computer generated report programs would be preferred.
- Experience in Great Plains environment would be an asset.
- Rate regulated accounting experience would be an asset.
To apply, you will need to create profile. As a result, you will have a Dashboard that will allow you to update your profile, view current opportunities, manage your email subscriptions and view all past jobs you have applied on.
If you’re looking to take the next step in your career - take a look at our available opportunities and apply now!